Sunday, September 2, 2012

Quick Run to Turkey Run


Nicest Smallie of the day at 13 Inches

Always happy for popper action
Itching to get out after a few days along the banks of the Clarion River in Northern Pa.  Scott and I linked up after he finished up at the Orvis shop for the day.  We headed north on 95 and then trundled up the GW Parkway to the Turkey Run exit just past CIA but before 495.  We parked in the C lot and geared-up.  I was interested to see other fishermen in the lot gearing up.  I had checked the water gauge at Little Falls and the water was running steady at 2.98 (perfect).  I assembled by newly bought 6wt and Scott did the same with his Orvis Access 6wt.  We headed down the switchbacks before the other fellas were ready and had our pick of the clear running river at 1545.  I was very happy that there was FAR less slime on the rocks than I had remembered and the conditions looked perfect.  Scott and I entered the river at the bottom of the trail, in retrospect we should have headed upstream or downstream to get away from trail access pressure.  We were both throwing poppers with green wooly-bugger droppers. The fishing was slower than I expected with about 50% pan-fish varieties mixing in with the smallies. We each caught 5-6 smallies and an equivalent number of sunfish.  As dusk was setting the first storm bands from Issac were moving in so we moved off the water to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment