Saturday, May 25, 2013

Rappahannock Slam (that's a fish tale) - May 24

While Matt's up in PA chasing trout, I ventured down to Fredericksburg to see if the stripers were hitting.  Friday's weather was nasty.... cold & really windy, plus the river was running awfully fast -- more on that later.
Striper with bad attitude
The bite wasn't hot and though I saw 5 or 6 other spin and fly fishers on the river, no one really seemed to have broken the code.  I did manage to pick up a couple of stripers (the biggest was about 18in) -- on shad darts, and a couple of shad -- on clousers!  Rounding out the smorgasbord were a few white perch and bluegill. The striper put a charge into an otherwise low key day as it took me into backing within seconds of the hookset. 

 As I worked my way downstream, did I mention the water was running a bit faster than normal... I took one step I shouldn't have and in a split second I was in over my chest waders and fighting from being dragged downstream.  I'm not sure how much trouble I was in, but thankfully Dan Soper, a terrific Project Healing Waters supporter was nearby and lended me a hand to get back on solid footing. 
The Rapp can be deceiving.  It looks like a relatively easy wading river.  I think I'll pack my wading staff next trip down.   The shad run seems to be reaching its end.  I have to believe more stripers will be coming up the river soon.
Feisty shad

White perch






No comments:

Post a Comment