Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Shenandoah Main Stem at Ashby's Gap

I spent an Awesome Friday and Saturday with The Family and Conor in NYC and scooted out this morning for a quick 3 hours on the Shenandoah just West of Ashby's Gap.  James was looking to try out his newly won Orvis CFO reel so the morning was set for a quick adventure.   The water was at its normal summer/low pool and warm.  My plan was to swing streamers down the main channel as I made my way downstream along the west bank toward the island then through the deep seams on the western/left channel, then come back around the island, fish the shaded far bank, then make long casts, drifts and strips heading back to the bridge and the car. Besides the snake (see pic below) that gave me the creeps, the plan worked out perfectly and I brought 8 smallies to hand in this short but beautiful trip. I hope that you get out on river and enjoy these pictures.
The quality of the picture exposes an untrimmed knot!  Bronzebacks love the minnow simulating golden retriever
James caught in the sun taken from the top of the island-channel
Lochness Monster? Nope just a big snake!
Fish-on -- I used an old pflueger 1495 Medallist from my grandfather for this trip
I caught 4 today on a barrel-head Kreelex pattern

James "fish-on" at the bottom of the island where the two flows join again
This nice smallie caught in a deep run on one of Harry Murray's recommended (heavy) crayfish patterns
The greens of the grasses and tree frame James on the far side of the island headed back toward bridge
Keep-em in the water all you can!
Another healthy Bronzeback


I think he's smiling at me
Thanks for looking -- get out on the river

No comments:

Post a Comment