Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Skinny Rapidan just off 29


In an effort to find a great place to take my friend and co-worker Phil and his two boys I decided to check out South River where it flows into the Rapidan just south of Madison, Va.   Scott had fished this area years ago and got a bit twisted around on the river and roads but found it loaded with river chubs....and heck yes...river chub are fun to catch especially if you are just looking for action.   As I pulled up to the bridge I Recon'd on Google maps I was disappointed by the lack of water in the south and didn't even wet a line.   Maybe someday Scoot will show me where he hit all those fish.   I turned around and decided to take a look at the Rapidan just east of where HWY 29 crosses it.   I found a farm/right of way and jeeped down to the water.   I was pleasantly pleased to see small but lovely water as I made my way down a short trail.  After a few casts a was  greeted with my first smallie of the day, a little feisty fellow.  As I made my way up and down the river from the entry point I found more silt and less rock than I hoped and while there were and are fish here, id only give it about 60-minutes of fishing fun.  I'm glad I hit this piece of water but don't think I'll be back.





No comments:

Post a Comment