Sunday, July 23, 2017

North Fork Deluge


I won't get back on a river 'til August 5th so I jumped at Paul's invitation to hit the river Saturday. I wanted to get home to see my Jenny so we only spent 6 on the water and we had a great time.   We slid in at the low water bridge off Rt 609 and tubed and yak'd through the first two hundred yards where before we wet a line and immediately began to pick up feisty smallies.   As compared with the South Fork we decided on 'more intimate' as the best way to describe the North Fork.  This 2.5 mile horseshoe is loaded and provides some all kinds of opportunities.  I love swinging streamers through the riffles and caught more than my share, but the deeper, cooler pools were stacked with swarms of smallies and it was hard to leave them.


As my 4 hr time limit came and went I started pushing toward the takeout and we got a taste of what Noah must have known ... driving, heavy rain the kind you just laugh at and enjoy, what else is there to do?  We packed up in the driving rain, the jeep did not care and I headed home.   Paul on the other hand had the whole day so waked back up the river and caught another bushel or two for another 6 hours!  He caught two 12-inchers and hooked into a 18/19" only to have it break his line....what a great place. 

It's less about catching numbers of fish 
and more about journeying to the point 
where you get the strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment