Thursday, April 4, 2019

Winter/Spring Update Potomac + Shad

Headed upstream on the Potomac





Lucky doesn't do justice to how fortunate I've been this Winter and Spring to have continued fishing with neighbor and bass-boat owner Matt. 








Mount Vernon is about 2/3 of the way to DC from our Put-in in Leesylvania State Park


Its been thrilling to cruise at +40 mph to DC from Leesburg State Park to fish the warm water discharge at Blue Plains.   With the water warming now I'll be more and more back to my old haunts but also look forward to refining my bucket-mouth skills in the Potomac with Matt.

Gizard Shad -- available year round in the Potomac

Handsome Golden Carp form Matt at Blue Plains





































they're amazing on the fly!

Fritz and I found the Rappahanock thick with Shad on our first recon trip 28 March to our normal haunt in the fall-line.    In subsequent trips I enjoyed smiles on Jacob and James' mugs as well as they fought the feisty shad...what amazing fish.

James at the Island-tip Pool

Jacob couldn't miss
Trying my best to mimic the 1.25" silver shad spoon I put the Davis' fly tying desk to good use developing a fast sinking silver shad dart.














With Mum looking down at a washed out Pool

James and Mum catch up on the beach at island tip hole


Thanks for looking

No comments:

Post a Comment