Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Bonefish nirvana in the Bahamas

I'm a trout fisherman,
My dad started me on that trail 50 years ago when he'd sit me in his aluminum boat for 10 hours of trolling for lakers and salmon in Dan Hole Pond.
But I'm glad that over the years I've been blessed to fly fish some of the most spectacular areas around -- and let me tell you Great Exuma Bahamas ranks right up there among the best.
And once again, the bonefishing in the Bahamas did not disappoint.




Bonefish Stevie proved an excellent guide. His ability to spot fish, anticipate which flats would be most productive turned out to be spot on.

In prior bonefish trips, I had never seen more than a few "bonies" grouped together. However, this time as the fish were migrating out of the mangroves with the outgoing tide, I witnessed clusters of 50-100 fish streaming out in the narrow channels toward open water. The key was anticipating their speed and direction and placing my fly in that byway, starting the strip retrieve as that lead fish drew near.  The strikes were always violent and aggressive.  And when working close to the mangroves line management was paramount in order to prevent getting wrapped around and broken off.
These powerful sportfish have the force of a locomotive




Next year can't come soon enough to get another crack at these incredible sport fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment