Monday, July 8, 2013

Kanes Creek Scouting Trip 8 July

Entrance to Kanes Creek
Scott was fishing Pohick Creek with John today so I tried to match the water (as he described it) in Pohick Creek and found Kanes Creek off Belmont Bay.  The put-in is at the 'car-top-launch' in Mason Neck State Park. I put in rigged up with 6wt and turned immediately to the left for the 1/2 mile paddle to Kanes Creek.  The tide was heading out at enough of a clip to sway the aquatic grasses and the sun was high at 0930.  There was decent structure on the Mason Neck Side and I only through in a couple times as I was trying to get to wadeable headwaters of Kanes Creek. Unfortunately the further I paddled up the creek the heavier and higher the hydrilla came and the canoe started slow in the weed.  With the tide still heading out I was fearful of heading too far up the proverbial
Bald Eagles Nest in Kanes Creek
creek as I didn't know if I could get back out. The furthermost I got up the creek was about 3/4 of a mile to twins signs saying, "No Trespassing, Sensitive Wildlife Management Area" as I headed out of the creek I called Duber to see if he had any suggestions as Scott indicated that he had fished here before.  He said that he had had success on the Mason Neck side of the mouth hitting the structure along the bank. I did the same and saw several large bass in cuts in the hydrilla and several monster snakehead but the sun was high and the fish were not interested in my size 6 white, black or blue poppers.  As I floated with the tide out of the creek I ran into one nice Large mouth who was happy to play.  It was a good scout trip, but with the heavy, choking weeds this was not the wadeable water I had hoped for.

No comments:

Post a Comment