Friday, March 31, 2017

39 Hours later



With weather closing in it had been 39 Hours since my last trip to the shad run, I hope it won't be so long before I'm there again.   I had the island tip hole to myself for the first hour as the rain built in Friday morning, the river had begun to rise but nit enough to effect the run or its fishability, so with hood up against the big drops I rigged up with this sparkly self tie.  



This dart is tied on a 1/16oz jig head and still needed more weight to bite into the current.   When I added weight If ound that it really began to reduce the casting efficiency of my HF 5wt so I took off my splitshot and added 10 feet of sink tip line to the leader.    This worked out well but the long casts required to get into the optimum strike area are tricky with the backcast bank brush.




The fly above fished slowly today so I changed to a pattern Fritz tied last year, a chartreuse jig head with a silver chenille midesction and a sparse buck tail.   The shad really liked this pattern and it with its offset eyelet it seemed to bite deeper into the current.....fish on.

This old HF SF is amazing its got butt-backbone and great flex for the first 4'
 


I was joined by a very nice long rodder from Williamsburg after an hour or so and enjoyed watching him manipulate his 5wt switch rod with a silky switch cast (no backcast).    He got into them immediately and his shooting head really allowed allowed him to cover lots of water.  Next time out I'll fish my 5wt switch and work on my switch cast.    The fishing kept up steady, the water rose a bit but never was a problem.   I ended the day with a great fight from this daddy...

Big daddy Hickory shad

 panorama of the hole

Thx for looking


No comments:

Post a Comment