Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Every other cast



Storm-born angry high water for two straight trips to the shad run frustrated me this weekend, but I struck gold at 3.13 feet on the Rappahannock River Gauge in Fredericksburg yesterday.  Still storm-stained but just fishable all anglers got in on the fray -- diving ospreys, and a bald eagle included.   With the prime tip of the island spots occupied I forded the side channel and got to the top of the lower pool.


Fish from A, cast downstream to left, allow a drift downstream to the right & catch just above riffle
I went with a hybrid jig fly presented by a 10.5" 5wt switch rod with a sink-tip leader.




Once I had all this worked out I was in the mix and 75% of cast brought me strikes with gorgeous 13-16" shad fighting the current and jumping on 50% of my casts....amazing.




Shad-on.   Rod defines current to the left, pool to the right




Thx for looking & get out on the river







No comments:

Post a Comment