Friday, June 9, 2017

One more off the Bucket List -- Bonefish!

Normally Matt and I enjoy photo-documenting our adventures as much as writing about them. We've fumbled with the process but have progressively gotten better through the years.  But every once in a while... I digress -- and of all fly fishing trips -- bonefish on the flats in Great Exuma Bahamas,  I thought I had it wired on this day -- a local guide straight out of a Hemingway novel; an eager photographer, and water as crystal clear that just the thought raises the hackles on my neck.  But alas, the clarity proved the bane for my photographer on the flats.  For as incredible it was for me to watch a bonefish tearing through the water following my fly like a torpedo shot out of a sub, so too was the clarity to see a little old harmless shark lurking on the same flats.


      Well maybe the shark wasn't so little - unless you compare him to the 20-foot Great White in Jaws, then yea, an 8-foot shark is little.  Not too sure about the old either as it glided effortlessly, knifing thru the 2-3 foot depth flats with dorsal and tail poking out above the water.  And for the harmless comment, well it was only a Reef Shark -- the same species that took the finger off a young girl on a tourist excursion the day prior.
      So my pics don't fully capture my day -- but let me tell you it was friggin' awesome!

So when the taxi dropped my off to meet the guide, it was a vintage local Bahamian open air bar with a small dock at the waterfront.  My guide Olie was about as local as you can get.  Social, friendly, likeable, and fully competent to find the fish.  His boat was no top of the line model.  I probably wouldn't feel too comfortable going open ocean, but in between the many islands the water was more protected.  I was concerned about the winds that morning -- Small Craft Advisory was out as winds were pushing 20+ constant -- wonderful! One fish was my goal for the day.






Meet "Bonefish" Olie








After motoring for about 20 minutes he looped around an island, where we came upon some gorgeous looking flats.  Set the anchor, we hoped out, and we headed off (with the photographer not budging off safety of the boat).  I had my 8-wt Orvis Access with a Hydros reel ready to go. In fact, I've had this rod for 4 years and had yet to give it a try.  Small Craft Advisory be damned. Olie guidance was to cast, rod tip down, long hard fast strips, and to set the hook make one more hard strip -- not the traditional raise the rod tip up.  After that -- hang on.  So here we go first cast. I can't see the fish but Olie does and he's calling the mark.  "Strip, strip, strip - set it!"  Fish on first cast!   Then the bonefish took off like a torpedo.  The only thing I can compare it to is a King Salmon during the fall run up the Menominee River in Milwaukee years ago.  Olie explained they make two to three hard runs every time,,, and he was spot on once again.  Rod & reel performed perfectly -- I really love the smooth drag system on the Hydros - as good as advertised.
We got him in, walked back to the boat for my photographer, then returned to the flats and so begin a truly memorable couple of hours of pure ecstasy,,, for a fly fisherman.




Olie explained another major difference as compared to trout fishing.  "You want as bright sunshine as possible in order to see the fish."  Basically what we'd be seeing is the bonefish's dark shadow on the bottom.







After catching 4 or 5 with Olie's assistance, he went back to the boat to chat it up with the photographer and left me on my own to figure out.

After hooking several more fish, enduring many runs that took me well into backing (always a good feeling), I brought the rod over to the photographer to battle.  Here she is...
... and fishing like a pro as a graduate of Orvis Woodbridge Fly Fishing 101 and 201 !

When we called it a morning -- 16 bonefish from 2-5 pounds were brought to hand.  It was every bit as amazing as I envisioned it to be, And although I can scratch it off my bucket list -- I'm already planning my next Bahamas bonefish trip in 2018.

Given that my photographer was such a great sport, I forgave her for her unwarranted fear of that little old harmless shark, and we enjoyed six incredible days in Great Exuma.  Though not fishing related, here are some pics from the rest of the trip.







Feeding iguanas on a remote island.














Feeding wild pigs on yet another remote island. 
Don't ask -- it's the really cool thing to do in Great Exuma.




Plucking (and returning) huge starfish from the ocean bottom.  These were stunning creatures.

Olie was a terrific guide - a real pro.  And he wanted my Orvis rod & reel !


 Golfing at Emerald Reef Golf Club where seven straight holes line the ocean - breathtaking.

 Though not a paid spokesman for Sandals -- their business model and customer service was off the charts all week long. Incredible pool, beach, rooms, dining, grounds -- you name it, everything was perfect. Already booking for 2018.








2 comments:

  1. Wow. Looks awesome. Those bones are in my buckets list too. What a great treat for you and Carole. Tight Lines. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. had a great trip in northern new Hampshire week of the 4th. cant wait to see the blog

    ReplyDelete