Saturday, June 3, 2017

Scott's Run



A couple years ago Fritz, James and I were deep in the Big Run Watershed and had just started our walk out when we spied a sizable tributary flowing out of a hollow and joining the far side of Big Run .2 miles downstream from the intersection of Big Run Trail and Big Run Portal. I thought about gearing up but decided to study, see what stream it was and save it for an adventure for another day.   It turns out the trib was unnamed and there's only scant reference to it in a watershed study of the area.  Audaces fortuna invat so I decided to claim it and name it.     Here it is flowing into Big Run from the east/right of the map.


Here's what it looks like from the satellite view:



The hike down was 2.5 miles and took 71-minutes, with the mountain laurel in full bloom lining the path it was beautiful, but every step down reminded me of the hike out to come.



12 minutes into the hike at the 2nd switch back you cross the headwaters of Big Run.   2.2 miles into the the hike at the bottom of a descending ridge-finger finds the intersection of Big Run Trail (heads off to left) and Big Run Portal (follows Big Run down stream).











.3 Miles below the trail intersection located at 38.266146, -78.699944
Eppert Hollowing and the newly names Scott's Run pushes into Big Run.




Scott's Run to the left, the headwaters of Big Run to the right


To my excitement I caught this sweet little guy right under this sign.

This long pool was as far as I got up Scott's Run
I fished up Scott's Run for 200m, it holds lovely squaretails that I can't imaging see fishing pressure at all.    They were spunky and seemed happy to reward the effort, it was a thrill each time they rose to slap my fly.   Scott's Run, found, named and fished I walked 12-min downstream from the confluence and started fishing Big Run.   The air was a cool 58 and the water temp was the same. As the sun found its way deep into the run, bug life exploded.   Several pools I just watched as hatches emerged and trout rose to take them from the surface film.   An amazing morning.   I fished for three more hours and with plans to be corral smallies the next day, I began my walk out.  Enjoy these pics...

 


















Big Run
Harry Murray's Mr. Rapidan took this fellow 



Foot rest for him

Foot rest for me

This 16 Parachute Sulphur was the most product fly today
If you're ready for an adventure get down to Scott's Run

No comments:

Post a Comment